Apassion project or a professional campaign, the process is always more or less the same: you pick up your camera, you follow your vision and get your shots and then go to your computer to transfer your footage over and get editing. Color grading is usually the last and arguably one of the most important steps in this long creative process. We have all wished there was a way to make this process a little quicker and thankfully, there is! Enter: LUTs.
In case you are new to them, LUTs are a quick and easy way to simplify the color grading process and help you get the best results for your work and better realize your vision. This tutorial will show you how you can install and use LUTs straight onto your desktop computer. Our hassle-free guide has been created by experienced professionals and all you have to do is follow the steps below to get started.
In this guide, you will find tutorials on how to install your LUTS in Davinci Resolve (2 ways).
You will also find a tutorial on what camera settings to use when you shoot. This will help you get the best possible results when you transfer your footage on your desktop for editing and apply your LUTs.
Video shooting gear covered in the tutorial is for DJI, Canon, GoPro, Sony and RED.
As every video is different (exposure, white balance, etc.), small adjustments are recommended to achieve an optimal result. Please ensure your White Balance is correct before applying a LUT. This can drastically change the look of the LUT.
You can find a variety of cinematic LUTs available, expertly developed by our professional team of videographers, simply by following this link: View Film LUTs
Good rules to follow BEFORE applying a LUT
- Ensure white balance is corrected before applying the LUT. This is important.
- Ensure your exposure is correct. Expose your image so the Histogram is centered.
- It’s better to under-expose your footage, than over-expose. (Safer to enhance the darks as you cannot recover blown-out highlights).
- Lower the ISO, the cleaner/better the image quality. High ISO = Noise.
- In general on most cameras, it is good practise to have the sharpness level at the lowest. This gives the cleanest image when using LUTs and sharpness can be added easily in post if wanted.
As every video is different (exposure, white balance, etc.), small adjustments are recommended to achieve an optimal result. Again, please ensure your White Balance is correct before applying a LUT. This can drastically change the LUTs look.
How to add LUTs in Davinci Resolve (2 Steps):
There are two steps to this. We need to Install the LUTs in the software which is simply copy and paste, then step 2 is to apply the LUTs.
1: How to install LUTs in Davinci Resolve
- Open Davinci Resolve on your computer. Open a project.
- Click on the settings icon located in the bottom right corner. A new window will pop up.
- Go to Color Management. Scroll down and find 'Lookup Tables'. Then click on 'Open LUT Folder'.
- The LUT Folder window pops up. Drag and drop the entire downloaded and unzipped folder into the LUT Folder.
- Close the LUT Folder. In the 'Color Management' tab (step 4), click 'Update Lists'.
- Click 'Save'.
You are done! Have fun using the LUTs!
Visual Process | How to Install LUTs Quick and Easy
This is the exact same process for Mac and PC
play full video
2. How to apply a LUT in Davinci Resolve without installation
- Open Davinci Resolve. Then open a project.
- Go to the 'Color' tab (find it on the bottom).
- Right-click on a node. Go down to '3D LUT' and find your LUTs.
- Choose a look from the list and voilà: your footage is graded!
And you're done!
Now you can go ahead and get your favorite LUTs installed on your computer and apply them on your video footage to get the best out of your work. Get those creative juices flowing!
Should you find yourself troubled with any of the above, fear not, we've got you! Just let us know by emailing us at email@example.com and we will get you going in no time.